Sunday, October 4, 2009
If It's Sunday, It Must Be Football Food....
1. It should say Fall. You might eat the stuff other times of year but suffice it to say a chilled soup and salad just don't cut it.
2. Ideally you should be able to eat it with your fingers or one hand. Certainly you should need no more than one utensil. Save the fork and knife for another day.
3. It should be fun!
4. If your local wateringhole had a vegan selection on its bar menu, it would feel at home.
5. Messy enough to use two napkins is a good thing.
6. Eating it in front of the tv enhances it does not detract from the culinary experience.
7. During playoffs and the Superbowl regional specialies from the areas the teams represent earn you bonus points.
I think you get the idea here!
First up a dish that really needs no recipe: Nachos
The above have Black beans sauted with garlic,onion, chiles and cumin. My favorite Green Mountain Gringo Salsa, Nacho Cheese Sauce(recipe below), jalapeno slices and Yellow Rose Recipe's Sour Cream. All on top of white corn tortilla chips. It isn't as pretty a picture but..Blue Corn are my favorite chips.
Nacho Cheese Sauce
(this is a combo of YRR and Bryanna Clark Grogan with my own spin on it)
1 Cup Water
1/4 cup Nooch
2 tbs Cornstarch
1 tbs Lime Juice
1 tbs tahini
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp juice or to taste, juice from pickled Jalapeno jar
Mix all ingredients in a blender.
Pour into a microwave bowl, cover and microwave on high for two minutes. Whisk well. Recover and microwave for 2 more minutes.
Whisk again. Pour over your nachos and broil until bubbly.
If you have leftovers you can store it in the fridge. It gets thick so you will need to spread it on your next chips, bread, pizza crust before baking.
Next Sunday: Wings with Vegan Blue Cheese dressing for dipping.