Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Fall Flavors: Acorn Squash, Tomatillo and Poblano Pepper Stew

The days are getting shorter. I need to wear a sweater at least in the morning and evening. My thoughts start turning to warm, soothing stews and warmer spices. I have said before that the nice thing about belonging to my coop is that it reminds me to eat seasonally. This past week's order with its peppers and squashes reminded me of how much I love this season and the foods it brings. Case in point this lovely and lively stew. The original recipe was part of my biweekly newsletter and credited no one with its creation. I will share it with you to enjoy while you carve your jack 'o lantern this All Hallow's Eve:
Acorn Squash, Tomatillo and Poblano Pepper Stew

What you need:
2 small acorn squash baked until just tender
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 tbs of olive oil
1 onion chopped
3 cloves of garlic chopped
2 tsps chili powder
2 poblano peppers, chopped
5 tomatillos husked, washed and cut in eighths
2 cups water
2 cups cooked kidney beans
1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
Vegan cheddar,vegan sour cream and or hot sauce to garnish
What you do
If you haven't yet baked your squash or cooked your rice, do so now.
In a soup pot or large sauce pan warm olive oil over medium heat.
Add onion , garlic and chile powder and saute until onions are transluscent.
Add water,beans,rice,tomatillos and peppers and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes.
Seed squash and add by spoonfuls to the pot.
Cook an additional 15 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
Remove from heat and add cilantro.
Add salt and pepper to taste
Serve topped with any, all or none of the above condiments.
Enjoy!
This was served with The Sweet Skillet Cornbread from Joni Newman's Cosy Inside.  That's my favorite cornbread by far!



1 comment: