Friday, October 23, 2009

Comfort Food: Brunch for Dinner





In my house breakfast or brunch for dinner is greeted by unanimous applause.  My kids would eat nothing but breakfast foods and I can't quite wrap my head around pancakes, quiche and omelettes until afternoon...so this is a perfect arrangement we got going.  The dinner in question this evening is the sensational Classic Broccoli Quiche from Vegan Brunch(by Isa Chandra Moscowitz) with a side salad my 11 year old son demanded it needed to go with it.  Now you may question quiche as comfort food but let me tell you a couple reasons why it is so for me. 1.  When I was growing up, some of my first "big girl" lunch dates with my mom were at the Magic Pan and other cafe type places.  And while my big sister whined we had to go there for crepes and ordered a burger...Barb I love you anyway...I had my first quiche.  So it does have childhood memories for me.  2.  It will have childhood memories for my kids because it was one of the first things they ate having a vegetarian--at the time mother--who needed dinner on the table fast!  To this day this isn't much I can't hide in a quiche whether it be tofu (of course now that I am vegan) or brocolli (the bane of my youngest's existence), cut or pureed in small enough pieces with yummy flavors and poured into a pie crust, it truly is "all good"!  3.  If you can find a vegan premade crust, and own a food processor, you can have this bad boy, or girl in the oven in about 10 minutes.  It also shares the casserole magic of being in one dish and taking long enough to cook that you can be virtually cleaned up by the time it hits the table.  Heaven!
So I leave you at the end of this comfort food week with Brocolli Quiche.  A well loved favorite.  And I even followed Isa's advice and decorated with cherry tomatoes to truly bring it back to my youth!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment